Taking a Stand in Baton Rouge - Jonathan Bachman
World Press Photo Exhibition 2017
The World Press Photo Foundation and the Lightscape Foundation have the distinct privilege to inviting you to attend opening reception of the World Press Photo Exhibition 2017 in Washington DC. The reception will take place on Friday, November 3rd from 6:30 PM to 10:00 PM at the Dupont Underground (19 Dupont Circle).
The event brings together representatives of the think-tanks, universities, embassies, international-, media-, and civil society organizations that helped bring the Exhibition to Washington. 2017 Photo Contest winner Jonathan Bachman, and 2017 Anja Niedringhaus Courage in Photojournalism award winner Stephanie Sinclair will be our special guests for the evening. The discussions will address two key themes i) the role of photography in driving public discourse and ii) the contribution of women (photo)journalists to the field.
Speakers will include:
- Lars Boering: Managing Director, World Press Photo
- H.E. Henne Schuwer: Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Jonathan Bachman: Photographer of “Taking a Stand in Baton Rouge”
- Elisa Lees Muñoz: Executive Director, International Women’s Media Foundation
- Stephanie Sinclair: 3 time World Press Photo, Pulitzer Prize and Anja Niedringhaus awardee
- Robert W. Meins: Executive Director, Lightscape Foundation
Following the presentations we will tour the exhibition which has been specially curated for the impressive surroundings of this former trolley station. The exhibition includes the winners of the 2017 Photo Contest, a retrospective of all Photo of the Year winners since 1955 and guest exhibitions from the International Women’s Media Foundation, National Public Radio and Stephanie Sinclair.
Tickets: $50 proceeds go solely towards the cost of the exhibition, as staff are 100% volunteer.